SACK HOMELESSNESS!!!

Have a Heart For Those Without A Home! HELP US HOUSE PEOPLE IN WASHTENAW COUNTY!

Donate to: Religious Action for Affordable Housing (RAAH) capital campaign, in Washtenaw County, to alleviate homelessness and eliminate its causes in our community.

2008 Advent Effort Archive


St. Francis of Assisi Parish, Ann Arbor
Advent theme 2008. There is Room at the Inn!
Our Advent theme 2008 reminds us that here at St. Francis there is room for the strangers.
Each week of Advent we offer a story of welcoming, including an invitation to consider 
ways in which You Too Can Help the immigrants, unemployed, homeless & pregnant.
(Read stories on this page below here.)
Just as Joseph, Mary and Jesus, were poor strangers seeking a place to be counted, 
we too know what it is to welcome and to seek a welcome.
Today, we are honored to recognize Jesus, in the stranger, in the needy 
persons who have chosen to share Life with us here at St. Francis.
“I was a stranger and you invited me into your homes…” (Matthew 25:35-36)

November 30: 
I Came Into This Country and You Welcomed Me!
The United States is a melting pot of immigrants from all over the world; we are both strangers and neighbors in our communities. Immigrants have been forced to leave their country for political, economic and various other reasons.  Although, immigrants recognize the possibility of being criminalized for coming to the U.S. undocumented, we willingly endure many sacrifices for the opportunity to provide for our families.
Following Scripture and Catholic Social teachings Christians are obligated to speak for marginalized individuals.   The Washtenaw Interfaith Coalition for Immigrant Rights (WICIR) is a local organization that is “motivated to action by the God-given rights of all people to live in a safe and just society regardless of documentation.”     The coalition was formed in response to the increasing number of raids in the local immigrant community.
Recently, Mr. D., a hardworking man, who had been with the same employer for over ten years slept in his home after having worked the night shift.   He woke to loud knocks on his door in the early hours of the morning.  He opened the door after the individuals outside his door identified themselves as police officers; they searched his house and then handcuffed him and shackled his feet.  His wife and young children watched as they took him away.  Before Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officers left his wife was told by one of the officers that she needed to be out of her home by two weeks or they would return for her children and take them to foster homes. 
The coalition’s rapid response volunteers were contacted and met with her.  She was provided with emotional support, as she was very distraught not knowing where her husband had been taken to and how he was being treated.  She no longer felt safe in her home and needed a safe place to move to.  Finding a safe place to move to was worked out and the paperwork to obtain the children’s passports was started.  A few days later the coalition found where her husband was being detained and helped her to start the process for his release and deportation.  Unfortunately, the family is now separated but his deportation is preferred to spending months and even years detained in the centers. 
This is just one of the stories of the families that St. Francis Parish members assisting WICIR have welcomed and helped by providing support, legal advocacy, translation, transportation and other resources. 
You Too Can Help Welcome!
· Support St. Francis Giving Tree and the service organizations participating in it, or call Scott at 821-2121 for other ways to help.
· Join in an effort organized by The Washtenaw Interfaith Coalition for Immigrant Rights: 
1.    Rapid/urgent response team
2.    Political action team
3.    Legal team
4.    Community education team
5.    Fundraising team
If you feel compelled to help these strangers and neighbors e-mail Jane at  for more information.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 
December 7: 
I was unemployed & you helped me!
Over the past 18 months, I have experienced two periods of extended unemployment.  I was out of work from May to September last year, and then obtained a short-term contract in my IT field till late December.  From January until August of this year I was again unemployed or under-employed.  This has been a significant hardship in many ways, and I was asked to share a few thoughts with my fellow parishioners.
For most of us, it’s very hard to ask for help.  Going through a season (or in my case, seasons!) of great need and being forced to seek out help is very humbling.  We tend to equate this with humiliating, which makes it even more difficult.  But it is simply very helpful, and necessary, to acknowledge our need for the aid and assistance (yes, even financial!) of others.  I was able to reach out to, and lean on, my wonderful brothers and sister in my family.  Here in the St. Francis Parish community, Fr. Jim, Scott Wright, and many others were very supportive and willing to help.  I would like to share a particular experience that may have special Advent poignancy.
During this time, I attended the weekday morning Mass several times each week, openly sharing a prayer intention for the unemployed.  I got to know some fabulous people of faith who gave me much encouragement and strength.  One day after Mass, I was praying in the main chapel and I was really struggling with discouragement and FEAR.  I have a family to support and I was truly afraid of the immediate future we were facing.  I was hanging by a very fine thread, scared to my wits end.  Fr. John came in and knelt down not far from me.  With great difficulty, shaking terribly and tears flowing, I walked over and asked him to pray with me.  (I have thanked the Lord many times since then for putting this fine priest in my view that day!)  I can’t recall many details of his prayers, but I do know this: something happened.  It was not even so apparent to me at the time, only later.  It was only in my real brokenness that I let my guard down enough to allow the spirit of Christ to work in a new and wonderful way.  This work of the Lord continues as I have begun a program of guided spiritual direction.  And quite frankly, it’s marvelous.
Sometimes hardships, especially “embarrassing” ones like unemployment, can make us “close in” on ourselves.  It’s hard to admit our need for help, but we must!  That’s when we get to experience the concern and love of others, and isn’t this truly God with us? 
Have a blessed Advent!       Bill LaCroix
You Too Can Help Welcome the Unemployed!
· Pray for the unemployed.
· Join our Job Seekers - Career Network, inform us of any job openings.  Visit: www.stfrancisa2.com/careernetwork.htm
Or, contact:  Janene Ternes at 821-2122, or   
· Support St. Francis Giving Tree.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 
December 14: 
I Was Homeless and You Helped Me…
          Before I arrived at the Delonis Center, I didn't know where I was going to live. I called at least four other shelters. I prayed and asked my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ to direct my steps. I called the Delonis Center on April 23rd. I spoke with a front desk attendant. After explaining my situation, I was told I called at the right time, because they had a bed available. On Wednesday, April 25th, I arrived at the Delonis Center shelter. A staff member greeted me with a warm smile. I didn't know what to expect, because I had never been homeless or considered homeless. To my surprise, supervisors, staff and clients were very kind to me. 
           The Delonis Center shelter is a drug and alcohol free environment. Staff members are very well trained. They maintain a caring and clean environment; this made my stay more comfortable. The Delonis Center community shelter has provided and offered many resources to me. I was provided with a clothing voucher, job and housing resources, counseling, and I was also offered free computer training on site. The Delonis Center has programs available for their clients’ specific needs, even culinary art training* for young adults. 
           Washtenaw County and its residents have defined what caring means. I have met people from all walks of life during my stay at the Delonis Center shelter. Many people come to visit the shelter just to enjoy a meal. Being able to witness a program providing this kind of service has helped me to better understand how, who and what makes and builds strong communities. I now have my own apartment, and I will be continuing my education at Wayne State University in Detroit, MI this fall. 
           I look forward to the day when I can do volunteer work at a shelter. This will be a way for me to give something back to the community. I give thanks unto each and every supervisor; staff member and client at the Delonis Center shelter for helping make my stay a success. 
                    Maria W. 
* Culinary art training is a job training program of Food Gatherers and is conducted in their Community Kitchen located on the first floor of the Robert J. Delonis Center, 312 W. Huron, Ann Arbor.
(This story was reprinted with the permission of the Shelter Association of Washtenaw County. www.annarborshelter.org/)
The St. Francis community, in so many ways, supports and participates in the work of helping homeless persons with the Delonis Center as well as several other organizations.
You Too Can Help People like Maria W.   Here are some opportunities to consider: 
· Participate today in our Giving Tree program at St. Francis.  Get an ornament-tag and follow the directions, or call Scott at 821-2121 for other ways to help.
· Serve a Meal for the Hungry with St. Francis folk on this Friday evening, December 19, or any third Friday of the month.  Call Bridget at 665-9549.
· Plan to assist with St. Francis’ programs to house and shelter people, especially those who are homeless … at St. Francis Gym February 23 - March 2, 2009;  & at the Interfaith Hospitality Network - Alpha House June 1-7, 2009,  as well as the Habitat for Humanity Catholic House 2009, and the Rebuilding Together project April 25, 2009.  To help call Scott 821-2121.
· Support these organizations…    1.) Avalon Housing:  Support for affordable & non-profit housing development;  2.)  Catholic Social Services:  Family support services;  3.) Safe House:  Domestic Violence support and shelter;  4.) Food Gatherers:  Food rescue and distribution;  5.)  Interfaith Hospitality Network:  Shelter and housing services for homeless families;  6.)  Ozone House: Youth outreach and support, runaway shelter and transitional housing;  7.)  Saint Joseph Mercy Hospital:  Health care services and strategic initiative to low-income people;   8.)  SOS Community Services:  Transitional housing, family shelter, housing crisis line;  9.)  Synod Residential Services:  Group homes and drop-in centers for people with mental illness or who are developmentally disabled.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 
December 21: 
I was Unexpectedly Pregnant and You Helped
Both My Baby and Me!
The last time she went to the abortion clinic, Ao Shi Ze wasn't sure about getting an abortion. Once she lay on the exam table, she thought, "I can't get up now."  This time, she wanted to talk to someone about her situation first, and to see the ultrasound of her unborn child. She explained, "Before I decide, I want to see if it's a baby."
So, Ao Shi Ze came to Pregnancy Help Center ArborVitae for counseling and a free ultrasound. When she saw her baby on the ultrasound, she exclaimed over his little baby parts and the way he played with his hands even at 10 weeks from conception. She predicted that he would suck his thumb, just like his dad and brothers.
ArborVitae staff members were able to offer the support and referrals to help her move forward with her decision to choose life.
Christina came to Pregnancy Help Center when her basement apartment flooded, and most of her worldly possessions were destroyed. She had no rental insurance, and was in immediate need of a bassinet, diapers, food and clothing for her baby, plus dry clothes and equipment for her toddler.
She received all of this from Pregnancy Help Center on short notice, and commented, "I got what I needed here, when nobody else could help me."
Angie came to Pregnancy Help Center on behalf of her friend, Betsy, whose infant-grandchild, was left orphaned when suddenly the infant’s father, Betsy’s son, was fatally shot.   Betsy welcomed her infant grandchild in, while also trying to cope with her son's tragic death and his funeral arrangements.
She lacked a crib, diapers, formula, bottles, clothing – she had absolutely nothing for the newborn baby who had become homeless overnight. Angie was able to deliver all of these needed items to Betsy within a few hours, thanks to Pregnancy Help Center's supporters and volunteers.
(In these stories clients' names are changed for privacy.)
You Too Can Help People Like: Ao Shi Ze, Christina, Angie & Betsy. 
Here are some opportunities to consider:
Save lives -  not just one life, but two...
·  Remember that gifts are due today for our Giving Tree program at St. Francis.  Pregnancy Help Center is getting 90 of those gifts this year.  ·   Join the more than a dozen St. Francis Parish members who serve as trained volunteers each year with The Pregnancy Help Center / ArborVitae Women's Center in the effort to support women in the greater Ann Arbor area who are facing unexpected pregnancies. The Center provides a trust-based environment in which the programs, including pregnancy testing, ultrasound, pregnancy counseling and a wide array of material and spiritual support services, are offered confidentially and free of charge.    Come help empower women with the knowledge, tools, and caring support they need to embrace bright futures and to make healthy, life-affirming decisions.
Contact:  ArborVitae Women's Center – Pregnancy Help Center    (734) 994-8863   www.AnnArborVitae.com
www.ArborWoman.com 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Advent Meditation - December 21, 2008  - Fourth Sunday of Advent:  Gospel:  Lk 1:26-38.
Merry Christmas!   During these days of rain, snow and sleet may our hearts be filled with gratitude for the shelter we enjoy at home, work and at church.     Foreclosures, evictions, and late payment crises are causing a gloomy Christmas for some of our neighbors.  Our encouragement may become their best memories of this Christmas season.

Today, we are being addressed much like Mary at the annunciation.  As Mary was asked to make room in her womb, we are being asked to make room in our sacred space for Jesus.     The St. Francis Parish Peace and Justice Committee would like to hear your answers to a few housing questions. Please, complete our survey, which may be submitted anonymously ...

The survey results are publicly viewable at: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcdt65td_70ckw5qf57
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

See the Advent Meditation email at: churchpost.   

No comments:

Post a Comment